Calgary Heritage Housing manages housing for independent seniors. Our tenants have all the autonomy that goes with independent living just like anyone else in an apartment complex or attached housing situation. We do not have the authority to govern the decisions or movements of our independent seniors.
We are following best practices for senior self-contained housing as identified by Alberta Seniors and Housing:
- We are promoting social distancing by cancelling any organized on-site activities
- We have temporarily suspended non-essential building maintenance calls, and
- We have moved our building administrators to the head office to avoid the possibility of our staff tracking anything in.
- We have ramped up our team of professional cleaners and they’re focusing on high-touch, high-traffic common areas in our buildings such as handrails, doorknobs, mailboxes, common laundry/washroom facilities and elevator buttons, wiping down these areas with antiseptic cleaners twice a week.
- We are keeping the hand sanitizer stations in common areas topped up.
- We have posted signage at the main entry discouraging non-essential visitors and requesting that any delivery transactions be contained to the front vestibule.
Beyond these essential property management measures, we are focused on keeping our tenants informed on what they can do to keep themselves and their living environment healthy, and assuring them we are here to assist in any way we can should they feel the need to reach out.
Our Tenant Support Worker continues to investigate what’s available to tenants in the way of community resources, and to make the necessary connections and referrals.
At this time, our plan of action in the event of a confirmed case of COVID-19 amongst our tenants will not involve a lockdown of the building. Instead, we will ensure appropriate quarantine of the individual(s) to the best of our ability and inform the entire building population of the situation to reinforce the need for extraordinary vigilance in handwashing, social distancing and self-isolation. If heightened security measures are required, we will evolve our protocols to keep step.
Hand hygiene and social distancing are truly the most effective measures we can all take to keep ourselves healthy and prevent the spread of COVID-19.